Top seven seeds hold at National Duals
Top-seed Maryland-Baltimore County cruised through three matches against Cincinnati, Georgia and Auburn, never giving up more than two matches in any dual, and will face 10th-seeded Marion Military Institute (Ala.) in an 11 a.m. quarterfinal Saturday. MMI lost to The Apprentice School (Va.) in the opening round, but rebounded to beat seventh-seeded Mercer in round four to also reach the quarterfinals.
The No. 2 seed, Lindenwood-St. Charles did not yield a match in a dominating run Friday topping South Florida, Auburn and Georgia. The Lions will face No. 7 seed Apprentice on Saturday.
In a match between long-time NCWA programs, third-seeded Central Florida will take on No. 6 Grand Valley State. Central Florida is the only program to reach the National Duals finals twice in its four-year history, and Grand Valley State won the initial Duals in 2009.
Liberty University, the defending Duals champion and competing in its second year in the NCWA, advanced through three matches as the fourth seed, and faces fifth-seed Lindenwood-Belleville in the quarterfinals. Lindenwood-Belleville survived a scare from Massachusetts Institute of Technology before clinching the match late in a 32-23 win in the third round.
The tournament continues through the championship finals at 5 p.m.
The NCWA is also hosting a high school division again, as Auburn (Ala.), Fort Campbell (Ky.), Wayne County (Monticello, Ky.) and Pigeon Forge (Tenn.) will wrestle a round-robin tournament alongside the colleges beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday.
Here are the results from today’s action:
Round 4 Results
UMBC 52, Auburn 6
Marion Military 25, Mercer 18
Lindenwood-Belleville 47, Georgia Southern 9
Liberty 48, East Tennessee State 9
Central Florida 60, Tennessee Temple 6
Grand Valley State 41, MIT 7
Apprentice 23, Middle Tennessee 21
Lindenwood-St. Charles 54, Georgia 0.
Round 3 Results
UMBC 47, Georgia 9
(9) Mercer 32, (8) Middle Tennessee 8
(5) Lindenwood-Belleville 32, (12) Mass. Inst. of Technology 23
Liberty 58, Tennessee Temple 3
Central Florida 59, East Tennessee State 0
(6) Grand Valley State 45, (11) Georgia Southern 16
(7) Apprentice 24, (10) Marion Military Inst. 22
Lindenwood-St. Charles 64, Auburn 0
Round 2 Results
(1) UMBC 45, Cincinnati 9
(4) Liberty 56, North Florida 0
(3) Central Florida 54, South Carolina 4
(2) Lindenwood-St. Charles 61, South Florida 0
Round 1 Results
(16) Georgia 28, (17) Cincinnati 27
(20) Tennessee Temple 24, (13) North Florida 21 (14) East Tennessee State 42, (19) South Carolina 21 (15) Auburn 24, (18) South Florida 18
SATURDAY’S SCHEDULE Consolation Rounds at 9 a.m.
Auburn vs. Mercer
Georgia Southern vs. East Tennessee State
Tennessee Temple vs. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Middle Tennessee vs. Georgia
Cincinnati vs. North Florida
South Carolina vs. South Florida
Championship Quarterfinals at 11 a.m.
(1) UMBC vs. (10) Marion Military
(4) Liberty vs. (5) Lindenwood-Belleville
(3) Central Florida vs. (6) Grand Valley State
(2) Lindenwood-St. Charles vs. (7) Apprentice
Championship Final at 5 p.m., along with placing rounds